Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 06:40:19 AM
Recent Posts | Membership | Latest News

This community of Opel owners from all over the Philippines is the melting pot of all information that is uniquely Opel.

We Ask, Learn, Help and Share information that revolves on technical and repair, sources of parts and service, accessories or cosmetics.

Whether you're Old School (read: Rekord, Ascona, Manta, Kadett, Olympia) or New School (read: Astra, Vectra, Omega, Zafira, Tigra, Corsa), this club will make your stay worthwhile. Either you're here because you're an Opel enthusiast or just dropping by for some advice, you are welcome!

Extend your Network. Collaborate with club members from various industries in the country and across the world.

This is proudly Opel Owners Club of the Philippines.

UPDATE October 2011: Registration via online form has been temporarily disabled due to the overwhelming spam we get. If you are interested in joining with Standard Membership, you can request to join our Facebook group Club Opel Philippines and make a post stating you want to join.

Ads By PistonBay.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opel brand in the Philippines  (Read 4621 times)
AVillareal
« on: June 26, 2006, 11:41:30 AM »

What happened to the Opel Brand in the Philippines? why was it dumped by GM Philippines?

The Astra was selling well.
edl100
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 01:52:24 PM »

That is a question that GM Phils should answer.

But I think there are numerous reasons why:

1)GM is grooming the Chevrolet Brand as this american name might sell to the Filipinos better than the OPEL brand

2)They have the Chevrolet OPTRA in their lineup which conflicts with the Astra.   The Omega and Vectra did not sell well so it was better to scrap the whole Opel brand altogether.

3)Importation cost.   Euro-dollar is very expensive and that Importing OPEL cars from Germany will be too expensive to compete with the likes of Civics, Corollas, Focus etc..     Unless these cars are built in Thailand like the Optra.

4)GM AUTOWORLD is just not capable enough with very weak marketing skills, P.R., weak sales and aftersales service, Incompetent Mechanics and service, inadequate and expensive parts inventory.     Unlike Mazda or Ford which has one of the best customer aftersales satisfaction.

I hope OPEL comes back to the Philippines on its own just like what SUBARU did.     
Kingtut
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »

What happened to the Opel Brand in the Philippines? why was it dumped by GM Philippines? /

From what I've seen, there doesnt seem to be much respect from Opel owners towards the after sales service people. Both dealers and the GM Phils.
I also agree that GMAP isn;t doing anything to change this perception either.
They're looking at it from a PURELY business aspect - and if they see sales slump - they dump the product! To hell with the previous customers. I bet they're relying on these users to dump their cars as well!
Look at what happened to Yanase (the biggest GM/Opel dealer in Japan) they recently dumped the Opel brand too.

It's organizations like this who can turn things around. I really hope the Club members can do something. I wouldnt be caught dead in an Optra!
(no offense to Optra owner/members!)
jonvic
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 12:33:43 AM »

true that theyre merely promoting the chevy name to make it more american sounding but theyre just dumping alot of cheap china made aveos,ventures and korean made optras for the name sake.Mga pareko,even the cheapest astra is WAY MORE CAR AND LOADED WITH LOTS OF GERMAN HIGH quality stuff than all of them.Think about it,its stupid that they bring in V8 suburbans and gas guzzling V6 ventures while the real German opels build ultra hi-tech CRDI turbointercooler astras and vectras that pump out 160bhp on a ECOTECH2.2liter diesel.Sa mahal ng gasolina ngayon.Sometimes they do dumb things on purpose.Why is that?
gibe
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:24:05 AM »

hello to all owners of opel,..where i can service my opel astra(club)model 2000??thanks
I also agree that GMAP isn;t doing anything to change this perception either.
They're looking at it from a PURELY business aspect - and if they see sales slump - they dump the product! To hell with the previous customers. I bet they're relying on these users to dump their cars as well!
Look at what happened to Yanase (the biggest GM/Opel dealer in Japan) they recently dumped the Opel brand too.

It's organizations like this who can turn things around. I really hope the Club members can do something. I wouldnt be caught dead in an Optra!
(no offense to Optra owner/members!)
[/quote]
What happened to the Opel Brand in the Philippines? why was it dumped by GM Philippines?

The Astra was selling well.
Edwin Monzon
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »

Yes, GMAP has poor marketing and PR skills. The experience i had with GM Makati which i related in the tech talk section is more appropriate here, so ulitin ko lang.

When i had the 60,000 km PMS for my Vectra in GM Makati sometime last year, I saw this large streamer saying "Accepting Trade-In, All Makes, All Models for a new Chevrolet Optra". I asked, how much they'd get my 2001 Vectra for. The reply - "Sorry, we don't accept Vectras".

Whaaat!!! You're own brand and you won't accept for trade-in? And this was the dealer who sold me the Vectra! So how would they expect me to get an Optra, then? Told myself, from that day on, no more GM product for me.

Recently bought Toyota from the dealer beside them. Ha! Angry
Minimax

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 08:13:22 AM »

Yes, GMAP has poor marketing and PR skills. The experience i had with GM Makati which i related in the tech talk section is more appropriate here, so ulitin ko lang.

When i had the 60,000 km PMS for my Vectra in GM Makati sometime last year, I saw this large streamer saying "Accepting Trade-In, All Makes, All Models for a new Chevrolet Optra". I asked, how much they'd get my 2001 Vectra for. The reply - "Sorry, we don't accept Vectras".

Whaaat!!! You're own brand and you won't accept for trade-in? And this was the dealer who sold me the Vectra! So how would they expect me to get an Optra, then? Told myself, from that day on, no more GM product for me.

Recently bought Toyota from the dealer beside them. Ha! Angry

Well said Edwin. I'll never buy another GM product again. I settled for a toyota too for recent purchase. BTW im paolo of the other car club.

ANybody here knows how many liters does an astra need for its cooling system? Need to replace the tap i put recently.

thanks
Edwin Monzon
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 06:09:30 AM »

Minimax,

Thanks for confirming but I did suspect you're Paolo from the 'other club' when you acknowledged my thanks for leading me here. Yup,as you said,the Opel group is as fun and as helpful as in our other club. Looking forward to meeting you in the EB.

Edwin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: